Table of Contents
Teak Shower Floor: Transform Your Bathroom Into An Exotic Space
Teak shower flooring is a floor that is made of tropical hardwood that isn’t able to grow in all climates and is highly sought-after. It’s among the most durable hardwoods and has a number of advantages, since it’s resistant to insects, water and the rot.
However, this is only the beginning of the Iceberg, when pertains to the advantages of teak. The wood is used to make flooring as well as furniture.
What Is A Teak Shower Floor?
The tiled shower isn’t actually a floor made of teak but an insert made from teak. The insert is constructed into slats which are rolled out as bamboo mats. It can also be made to become an edging tray. It is dependent on what shape you want and dimensions the shower and the length of time you would like the teak flooring to be.
Pros And Cons Of A Teak Shower Floor
Naturally teak is an important source with an obvious list of cons and pros. However, when it comes to shower flooring the list of cons and pros is even greater. Take a look at these arguments to purchase and avoid teak shower flooring.
- Beautiful This one is clear. Teak is a beautiful wood, particularly if it is properly taken care of. Make sure it is cleaned and oiled, and you’ll get the most gorgeous shower flooring have ever seen.
- Durable It’s no fact that teak is among of the most durable woods on the market. It’s not as difficult to chip or scratch unlike other types of wood. It’s just a excellent wood that will last for an extremely long time.
- Water-Resistant Teak shower floors are extremely water-resistant for wood. Most woods can mold within months, but teak seldom expands or molds when exposed to water. But it is important to ensure that it is well-protected.
- Pest-Resistant teak is quite insect-proof since it’s water-resistant. It doesn’t absorb moisture like other woodsdo, which means that cockroaches termites and other insects aren’t attracted by it. It’s also difficult for them to get into.
- Rustic and Historical The final word is that teak is an excellent wood with its own unique history. The knowledge about teak will cause you to want it more since it’s so gorgeous. It’s an element of Asian culture with a rustic look.
- Not impermeable Although it’s waterproof however, teak isn’t totally waterproof. It is possible for water to pass through however it will not stay or expand. There is a decrease in the amount of water that passes through. However, it’s not immune.
- Complex Maintenance – it requires lots of time and effort to maintain teak in good form. You must polish and oil it frequently. If you’re not able to complete this task the teak will be durable, but it will not look as attractive.
- Don’t Use Bathroom Cleaners since it requires to be to be kept clean, it’s not recommended to use any bathroom cleaning products on teak. It’s more secure and safe to purchase the right cleaner for teak. If you don’t, you could lose your money.
- Cracks in Shower Floors Not ideal If you don’t like taking your shower insert out and in each day, then teak might not be the ideal choice. It’s because bacteria could be able to grow beneath the floor and pose a threat to those who use the bathroom.
- Pricey Finally, teak is among the most expensive woods available on the market. It’s not inexpensive and it is available with such tiny boards that can fool people into thinking that you’re buying a bargain.
The teak timber requires special attention It is therefore essential to maintain its polish frequently. It will require special polish specifically designed specifically for teak wood. It’s quite easy to do, but must be handled carefully so as not to harm the wood teak.
Step 1: Cleaning
Prior to polishing the wood you should clean it using a gallon of water and a small amount of dish soap. Then, gently scrub the surface. rinse it off with taking a shower. Then, let for the wood to air dry prior to going on.
Step 2: Applying Oil
Start by following the directions for the teak oil polisher. It is usually a matter of gently rubbing the wood using the teak oil, just as you would polishing a shoe made out of leather. It is also common wait for it to dry for a few hours.
Step 3: Polishing
In the end, make tiny circle to polish oil that has dried. Polish until you see an appearance. The shine will not only be attractive for months, but will also safeguard the wood. Teak is naturally rich in oil it and it thrives in teak oil.
How To Install A Teak Shower Floor
If you’re interested in creating an individual teak shower flooring and shower, you are able to do it! Teak can be purchased at most hardware stores , if they don’t stock it however, many of them come with pre-made slats, which is exactly what you need.
Step 1: Measuring
This vital step must be completed twice. The shower floor should be measured and record it somewhere. Next, measure it again and check if it is in line with. Take this note when you cut the boards, and draw an outline if you have to.
Drawing a diagram is an excellent idea for building. Making sure that you have everything neat and tidy can lead to less mistakes at the end. Therefore, take your time to organize and get it done.
Step 2: Planning
The slats must be spaced about 1 inch from each other. They also require 1/2 inch or less to each end. This means that the whole insert should be 1 inch smaller than the floor of the shower. In terms of spacing consider this.
Place your boards on the back of a measuring tape or cardboard on the floor of your shower. Note them and leave an inch between them. So, you don’t need to think about whether your calculations are correct. You’ll be able to see what you must do.
Step 3: Cutting
It’s the time to cut. Cut the slats of 1-2 inches that run the width of the shower. Then, spread the slats out and make sure they are all positioned correctly. Then, you can create three or two bracing boards to support the back. Then, lay the slats down and mark them.
Step 4: Screwing Them In
Then, screw the slats onto the bracing boards in order to secure them. Then, you’ve got an insert. Utilize the insert by placing inside the bathroom every time you’re ready to make use of it. It’s best to avoid leaving it in the shower all the time.
It is best to wash it at least once a week. Look for any signs of mold and also to determine the need for polishing. It is the ideal moment to polish it. Regular maintenance will help make the teak flooring last for years if you do it properly.
Other Wood Shower Floor Options
While teak is generally preferred however, there are a handful alternatives to wood shower flooring alternatives that work the same way. They are also resistant to water and are durable and therefore are great alternative to tiles.
Similar to teak, cedar can be a tough, water-resistant and durable wood, which is frequently employed in bathrooms. It thrives in cold conditions where there’s lots of moisture and snow and is adept to harsh environments.
The cedar resins which are naturally made make it more durable and resistant to rot than other kinds of wood. It is therefore a great wood shower flooring that smells fantastic and is a must to say.
White oak is a stunning hardwood that is virtually completely impervious to moisture. It is a hard wood that has pores that are extremely close. It is more sturdy than spongy, like softwood that has larger pores.
Hinoki is not only water-resistant Japanese wood that is used for flooring, it is also believed to possess cleansing or healing properties. This makes it an ideal choice for shower floors made of wood and bathrooms all over. It is typically utilized in saunas and similar projects.
Choosing Your Shower Floor
If you love teak shower floors , but you want to play it safe then you can make shower flooring, shower surrounds or make use of small pieces of furniture to decorate your bathroom.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
Do Teak Shower Floors Get Moldy?
The floors are waterproof for wood. The majority of woods will rot within months, but teak seldom molds or expands when exposed to water. However, it is important to protect it with a good seal.
Can You Clean Teak With Vinegar?
Utilizing a teak cleaner or a homemade solution made of vinegar with warm water,, cleanse the surface using the help of a soft cloth. Allow the vinegar solution to sit in the teak for approximately 15 minutes prior to cleaning it using an appropriate sponge that is in line with the grain of the wood.
Is Teak Good In A Walk In Shower?
Teak is a fantastic option for shower benches because due to its resistance to moisture. Shower mats made of teak is a great option as the wood is high percentage of resins with rubbery properties that create a slip-resistant surface. These mats are also immune to bacterial or mold growth and is a major benefit.
How Do You Get Mold Out Of Teak?
Mix together a mixture with oxygen bleach. One cup of bleached powder for every gallon of tap water hot can remove dirt and algae, as well as mildew, and mold. It will also remove most of the wood staining or sealers present on the teak. Stir the powder into the water until completely dissolving.
Is Teak Wood Waterproof?
Teak is unique among woods. It is not just it a durable, strong hardwood, but it also makes an oil that is its own and is high in wax content. It is the best outdoor furniture material since teak oil makes it impervious to water and inaccessible to insects that eat wood.
Teak Shower Floor Conclusion
Teak wood is ideal for your shower flooring. If you’re in search of an improvement to your bathroom, teakwood would be the ideal choice. Shower floors can be a lot of fun and will give your bathroom an exotic beach vibe.